Tuesday, August 18, 2009

banana muffins

After college, my mom gifted me with a book of our family recipes – such a great idea for anyone starting out on their own. One of my favorites has always been our Banana Cake. It’s easy and delicious.

Ingredients:
1 stick of butter
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 eggs
½ cup sour cream
1 cup banana – mashed (approx. 3 bananas)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 can of chocolate frosting

Directions:
This can be mixed in a food processor or using a hand mixer.
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, sour cream, then banana and vanilla. Mix flour, baking powder and salt. Add to banana mixture and blend. Pour into greased and floured 9 inch square pan. Bake @ 350° for 25-30 minutes or until center springs back when lightly pressed with finger. Cool in pan or on wire rack. Frost when cool with chocolate frosting.


her twist

I'm kind of amazed at how being a mom has made me considerably more conscientious about buying, making, and eating healthy food than I ever was pre-motherhood. I’m also on a mission to find quick and easy, healthy recipes (please send yours my way). So, I’ve adapted this recipe into a slightly healthier version.



Ingredients & Directions:
Same as above except…

Substitute flour with organic whole wheat flour. (I’ve tried the gluten free baking mix by Arrowhead Mills, which probably tastes fine, but not when you burn it. Warning: the muffins bake faster with this mix.)

Add 2-3 tablespoons of flax seed with flour mixture. Make sure to use ground flax seed for maximum health benefits. (I like Spectrum Essentials Organic Ground Flaxseed. I write down the date that I open it on the front of the bag – I’ve heard it should last about 3 months.)

Add 1/3 cup of steamed spinach after everything is combined. (Our Trader Joes just started carrying frozen chopped organic spinach – hooray for not having to blend it myself.) Be sure to squeeze/drain out the excess water before adding the spinach to the bowl.


Instead of the baking pan, try a muffin tin. The recipe usually makes 12-15 regular sized muffins.

Once they’re cool, stick them in a Ziploc and throw them in the freezer. It takes about 20-25 seconds to thaw in the microwave.

1 comment:

  1. what a fantastic idea! and SO you...a little piece of karen everyday-blog style. love it! xo

    ReplyDelete